Saturday 29 March 2014

Countdown: 2!

Ephesus, a carpet and a dentist..... Saturday, 29th March, 2014

Arrived in Selcuk at 8am after a very comfortable overnight bus trip (sadly left my blow up pillow on the bus when I changed at Izmir) and found my way easily to the Urkmez Hotel. Here I have a nice room for 29E, found on Booking.com. Very nice, friendly place.

After a complimentary breakfast on the rooftop, I joined a day-tour of Ephesus, the Temple of Artemis and St John's Basilica (45E). Very interesting tour which included a lunch stop at a village crafts co-operative. We saw women spinning silk and weaving it into carpets and wall-hangings. Such skill and such beautiful works! The co-operative runs with mainly voluntary helpers and 85% of the sale price goes to the creator of the piece. The government sponsors the co-op, in order to retain the skills, by eliminating sales taxes and re-imbursing postal charges. So, yes, I bought a lovely silk carpet....

After the tour, I was walking back through town with the guide, at about 5pm, when he said, "Look, my dentist is right here. Let's stop by and see if he can fix your tooth." (I had broken a significant piece off a tooth the day before and had mentioned that I was keen to get to Fethiye and find a dentist.) We called by, the dentist tacked me on to the end of his day and, at 6pm he reconstructed my tooth for me. Yay! Problem solved, at a cost of 150TL. So pleased!

Library, Ephesus. Once held 12,000 parchments - all lost

 

 

 

250,000 people once lived in Ephesis. It was the second city to Rome

 

 
Nike, Goddess of Victory
 

 

Mosaic floor tiles

 

Latrines

 

Archaeologists piece together the puzzles
Inside the terrace houses of the rich
The amphitheater
Only 20% of the city has been excavated so far
 
Sold to the lady with the backpack!

 

My hero: Mustafa Fatih Dundar

 

No comments:

Post a Comment