Friday 25 April 2014

Day 24: Cirali to the Chimaera

Friday 25th April, 2014 (ANZAC Day, in Australia and New Zealand)

On the lookout for poppy photograph opportunities today, but my favourite is this one taken at the Olympos ruins, of rather distant poppies growing from Lycian tombs. The symbolism matches: the spilled blood, the new life springing up where lives were lost, resilience, the hope for a bright and beautiful future....

Today I walked just a few kms out to the Chimaera. This is the last of the places I felt compelled to visit on the Lycian Way, and there were people there, so I didn't have to take a selfie. There are also the remains of a Byzantine church, with some just-distinguishable frescoes. I think this would be an interesting place to visit at night.

 

Looking back over the chimaera to Cirali

 

Nice flat camping possibility in the church ruins

 

Fresco

 

 

5TL entrance fee

Now, I have a lazy hour to fill before I head down to the beach to meet some people for drinks and dinner. They are a group of five work colleagues from an international school in Kiev and I met them yesterday while enjoying a glass of wine on the beach. Let my photos tell the story....

Late afternoon stroll on the beach

 

....past beautiful restaurants....

 

....till I came to this one, where Pera Classic's 3 - Kaybolan Yillar was playing. (Don't be impressed - I asked the waiter what it was)

 

Stopped, ordered a wine and some meze and sat over at the beach....

 

...and, soon, these guys joined me....

Ricky, with the baby, is Australian, from Melbourne, and teaches English. She is married to the (Welsh) David Beckham look-alike who teaches Physics. They are all enjoying their Easter break here. Anyway, it was a very pleasant evening - to be repeated soon....

 

Our friendly waiter

 

Choose your fish!

 

That's Pera Classic's 3.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment