Thursday 10 April 2014

Day 9: Kalkan

Thursday, 10th April, 2014

Another lay-day in Kalkan. I had planned to do the other side of the Patara-Kalkan loop walk today, but couldn't get motivated - I figure I've done the nicest side..... Aiming to leave early tomorrow morning. If Kate says it's a 4.5hr walk, then I'm looking at 6.5......

So, today I bought some rope to lengthen my tent ropes enough to loop around rocks, and some elastic bandage to hold my knee together. Not sure how to wrap the knee but I will practise tonight. Also got cashed-up at the ATM, did my washing and re-stocked emergency supplies. Paddled in the sea, had a coffee at my local cafe, and then dragged myself away from the harbour to wander the narrow, steep streets of town.

This place is really bustling for a basically closed resort town. Frenzied efforts are being made to get roads repaired, new developments finished and establishments renovated by May, when the Brits and Russians will flood in. This morning I had the whole beach to myself!

Come on, iPad mini, show them the amazing colour of this water

 

Paddling in the Aegean Sea

 

Kalkan
Kalkan harbour

 

Kalkan
A coffee at my local, called the Blue Marlin

Met Pam, Mick, Judy and Howard again for drinks at 5.30pm but I only stayed for one, as I have some serious uphill walking to do tomorrow and want to get an early start. Howard and Judy will rest here for another day and Pam and Mick will walk the second part of the Patara-Kalkan loop tomorrow. I will miss their company, but hope to catch up with them in Kas - our next beach resort town, about four days from here. Had another lovely meal at Trio -$13.50 tonight, and was back here at the Nur by 8pm.

It feels weird to be here now, when Cyclone Ita (Cat 5) is bearing down on north Queensland. It will hit in less than 24 hours. Good luck family, friends, pets, house ......

Kalkan

 

Kalkan

 

Trio

 

Cyclone Ita

 

No comments:

Post a Comment