Sunday 4 May 2014

Bodrum

After walking the Lycian Way, I found I couldn't drag myself away from this beautiful Aegean coast, and so decided to visit some of the places I hadn't yet seen; hence, a few days in Bodrum. Bodrum is another beautiful town - predominantly white and blue, and very popular with British tourists. Prices are a bit higher here (5TL for a coffee) and everyone is touting for business....

Highlights of my time in a Bodrum were:

1) A day-trip by ferry to the Greek Island of Kos. It's only 30 mins away by boat. The return trip cost 19 Euros. Left at 9am; back by 5.30pm.

3) A visit to the Underwater Archaeology Museum at the castle. Wonderful! The castle is quite austere from the outside but, inside, it's very pleasant, with attractive gardens, courtyards and terraces. I was particularly interested to see the Uluburun exhibit - treasures from a 14th Century BC shipwreck, found just 8 miles from Kas.

4) A trip, by dolmus, to the nearby, picturesque village of Gumusluk for the day. Enjoyed wandering around the town and harbour and had a beautiful, but not cheap, lunch there.

A disappointment in Bodrum, was my visit to a hamam (Turkish Bathhouse). It was very much a streamlined, rip-off-the-tourist experience, leaving me with no sense of having been pampered at all. (See Hamam post)

Next stop, Kusadasi.

Photos of Bodrum:

Entrance to my Airbnb apartment. $31/night and 100m from the beach
100m to this beach

 

Airbnb accommodation

 

Airbnb

 

Airbnb

 

 

Nearby nightclub on the waterfront is not open yet - phew!

 

Walk to the main harbour

 

 

My Airbnb host, Elisabeth, and her boyfriend, Hussein, are in this pic, I found out later....

 

 

Contrails over castles....

 

Night 2 on my celebratory bottle of wine

 

Chapel at the castle

 

Amphorae - underwater archaeological museum

 

Castle

 

Ingots of metal, from the Uluburun. 1,2,3,4 tin; 5,6 glass coloured with cobalt and copper; copper ingots
Hippo teeth ivory, an section of elephant tusk - Uluburun

 

Tiny writing book, made of boxwood, with ivory hinges - stylus for writing in beeswax

 

Fabulous Underwater Archaeological Museum! Entry 25TL

 

 

Need a home theatre like this!

 

Main harbour

 

Byzantine mosaic

 

Gardens in castle are lovely
Command Tower
Coffee on the way home...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment