Monday 5 May 2014

Gumusluk

Just a 5TL dolmus ride away from Bodrum, on the other side of the peninsula, is the tiny, picturesque, seaside village of Gumusluk. It, too, caretakes the sunken ruins of an ancient city. On nearby a Rabbit Island, ruins are obvious and it is possible to walk across to the island when the tide is right - but it's not right for me today. Instead, I walk to both ends of the harbour and start on a lovely coastal walk around the eastern headland.

On the waterfront, near the town, I see a house advertised for daily or weekly rent and I think how this is exactly what I'd have chosen for a week, if I'd had a book, a project and some company. With Bodrum just a 30-min ride away, it would be easy to stock up on supplies - or to visit if the need for hustle and bustle became compelling. On closer inspection, I find it's 3 adjoining apartments, with balconies right on the water's edge. I want to sit there immediately, with a glass of wine....

Instead, I explore and then settle in for lunch at one of the waterfront restaurants.

 

Unit 1, with barby and sun beds
Unit 2

 

Unit 3, with rooftop terrace. I want this one

 

The three units for rent

 

 

Arriving at the waterfront from the otogar

 

It's still not summer....

 

 

Marble fish-cleaning benches

 

 

A walk to see the ruins

 

That's all you see - part of a Roman wall

 

 

A short walk to town from the units

 

And what a pretty town!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A race
Delicious meze

 

 

Cleaning octopus

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment