Wednesday 2 April 2014

Day 1: Ovacik to Faralya

Wednesday, 2nd April, 2014

Not sure how far I walked today - probably only about 12kms, but it took 7 hours and lots of effort.

I left the hotel, with packed lunch, at 8am and arrived at the official start at 8.30am. There I met Howard and Judy, British retirees, with whom I walked all the way to Faralya. What a beautiful start to the Lycian Way and what stunning weather! I have lost all confidence in the trip notes in my Kate Clow guidebook - most confusing and distracting, but the way markings were always helpful. Howard also has military maps of the area, a GPS and an electronic dog attack prevention device, so I was glad they didn't mind my tagging along. I booked into the first pension I came across in Faralya (Gul Pension - 50TL B&B), while Howard and Judy went on to something more ritzy.

Sadly, though, this has been a bit of a false start to my adventure, as I have to catch a dolmus back to Ovacik in the morning to get more money. It seems there are no banks or ATMs until Kabak - possibly 10 days away. I learned this during dinner conversation - a German guidebook made it very clear and a local man confirmed it. (Darn! I met some nice people today......) There are very few dolmus services, too, so it looks like I might spend my whole day getting there and back. Or, I could hitchhike.

What was I thinking? I guess I wasn't - I was too busy assuming.

 

 
 
Olu Deniz

 

Howard and Judy

 

 

Beautiful wildflowers

 

Water cistern along the way - with cup!
 
Profile of my day

 

My guide book, on money

 

1 comment: