Sunday 27 April 2014

Day 26: Antalya!

Sunday 27th April, 2014

Woke this morning at Sundance Camp, in my tent, to fine drizzle. I packed up quickly, in case it got heavier, and abandoned my plan to take the cable car to the summit of Mt Olympos. (Might take a tour from Antalya - or not.) Enjoyed a leisurely breakfast with a Canadian family - a Dad and his two daughters. They, too, were finishing their walking at Phaselis, later today, and I was glad I wasn't sitting with walkers excited about going on to do the mountain section....

I left whenever and walked back to Tekirova and out to the main road; waved down a bus to Antalya (10TL) and arrived at the otogar at about 12. From there, I caught another bus into the old part of town (2TL).

I'm not sure how it works, because there is no information readily available, but I figured from my MapsWithMe map of Antalya, that an area called Kaleici, near a little harbour, was the original old town. I couldn't see any buses with Kaleici written on them, so I just asked the driver of the first bus I came to, "Kaleici?" He nodded and so I got on and kind of worked out where we were with my MapsWithMe map. Everyone who got on paid 2TL, so perhaps it's a single fare, circuit bus. It was the only bus with yellow and black stripes, so it's special in some way....

Found this little Pansiyon and have booked in for two nights (40TL/night). It's very basic and my room stinks of cigarette smoke, but the people seem nice and it's right in the middle of the old town. My room wasn't going to be ready until 3pm, so I left my pack and went exploring. I found some steps leading down to the harbour, where an armada of pirate ships was docked and trying to recruit "crew". Would I like a 45-min boat trip for 10TL? YES, I ABSLOUTELY WOULD!! (Sometimes touts get no practice honing their skills.)

Enjoyed being on the water and I think I'm going to look into doing a gulet trip from here - not that anything is likely to match what I have just done; I miss it already....

Today, only a burger'n'chips would do for lunch, and the Mira Cafe made an excellent one! Whiled away another pleasant hour there and then my room was ready. First job, dry out the tent!

I will try to finish this blog by writing some useful reflections/comments - tomorrow, or soon......

View of old town

 

Oh, oh, oh!

 

Arrrrrr! Pirates are big, here.....

 

Cruise along the coast

 

Yes, sometimes the cliffs do collapse

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment