Sunday 20 April 2014

Day 19: Finike

Sunday, 20th April, 2014

First, some trail notes from yesterday's walk....

From the hill above Zeytin to the hotel in Demre took me 5.5hrs. It was mostly very easy to follow the waymarks; the only problem occurred where the track crosses the sealed road at the 4kms to Myra sign. A new house is being built right there and, try as I might, I couldn't find the way. Finally, looking down the hill, I could see, about 50m below me, what looked like either a path or a terrace. I scrambled down to it and decided it was more likely a terrace. (I briefly considered scrambling down the hill to the valley floor, but I'm so glad I didn't as there is a steep-sided gorge to negotiate. And, in fact, while negotiating the gorge, on the path, I made my first bad rock-call. I chose to step on a nice big rock that rocked - yes, it is quite grammatically reasonable that a rock should rock - and I fell. Fortunately I fell across the slope and I only hurt the brave, selfless finger that tried to save me.) Anyway, on the "terrace", I stopped and studied the landscape with my ever-sharpening hawk-like vision and, sure enough, there were the red and white stripes - it was the path!

Also, walkers please note, on the 3km suburban slog to Myra, there are dogs - most tied up, but not all. This is where I tested my new dog strategy and, on reflection, it probably only works when the dog concedes that you are on a public road after all. I might not risk it crossing a farm....

On my way now to Finike in a dolmus (5TL). Here are my last photos of Demre:

The taxi driver and the hotel manager - two nice brothers

 

Common room /breakfast room at hotel - quite a pleasant alternative to my room for whiling away some iPad time....

 

Main Street of Demre on a Sunday morning

Oh, oh, oh! I'm in Finike. I walked down from the otogar to the harbour and found The Grand Hotel, where I have a room for 60TL B&B. Look at the views I have from my room:

There is snow on the distant mountains!

And I have a balcony, with outdoor furniture; so, at 10.30am, it's time to do some serious hand washing. Later, I will suss out a cab to take me to Belos tomorrow. (I don't think Ahmet was keen to take his nice car on another dodgy road....) Oh, they have just brought a cup of coffee up to my room for me - the delights continue!

I realise, now, why I am walking by myself all the time - it's because I'm staying in the wrong establishments. My dinner companion last night, John, was not camping at all, but using the Kate Clow accommodation guide from the Cultural Routes website. He met lots of people and almost always walked with somebody. So, today, I was heading for the Kate Clow-recommended hotel in Finike, but I passed this place first - and it is in such a nice location....

Oh, oh, and I have a bath!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment