Friday 4 April 2014

Day 3: Kabak to Sidyma

Friday 4th April, 2014

Such a big day, which I'll just summarise....

I left Kabak this morning at 8.30 and climbed in the shadow of the mountain for about two hours. Missed an important junction and continued onto a Kabak circuit walk. I was following a seamless trail of markers and it wasn't until I met a group of six Turkish men, followed closely by a Dutch family of four, all coming from from the opposite direction but heading for the same destination, Alinca, that I realised I was wrong. Very wrong! How sad I would have been if I'd ended up back in Kabak after so much walking! Fortunately, my trail angels had materialised just 100m after my error.....

Had a very enjoyable climb to Alinca, with the occasional companionship of both groups, and arrived at about 1.15pm. From there I had two options for walking on, one via Gey and one via Sidyma but both were considered unsuitable for anyone nervous about heights, the recommendation being to walk, instead, on the road either way. Hmmm.... I figured if I had to walk on a road for four and a half hours I might as well try and get a ride.

There was a cab waiting for the Turkish group at Alinca and, as though having read my thoughts, they offered me a ride as far as Gey with them. I told them I'd planned to go the other way, to see the Lycian ruins at Sidyma and next minute, the cab driver offered to take me there first and come back to pick up the others. He wouldn't take any money from me but dropped me off at a friend's pension in Sidyma - called Sidyma Homes. I had planned to camp tonight but, when Fatmah suggested, in sign language, that I would be more comfortable on a daybed on her verandah, I had to agree.

This village is so interesting. It's built on Roman, Greek and Lycian ruins, so far untouched by archaeologists. A neighbour of Fatmah's has Roman mosaic tiles on her floor, which she hides under kilims!

I spent the afternoon exploring; then came home for dinner with Bria, Fatma's American next door neighbour. Enjoyable night of conversation. Lovely, lovely day!

Sunset at Kabak

 

Bye, Turan Hill Lounge

 

Good camp sites on the path just beyond the beach

 

A python on the path? No, a stick
Campsites about an hour up the hill

 

The important sign I passed by

 

 

The Turkish group

 

And I was there too

 

 

 

 

Fatimah fed me as soon as I arrived
 
Fatimah fed me as soon as I arrived

 

Mosque
Roman ruins
Lycian tombs
My bed

 

Kabak to Alinca. Had to be careful stepping over that peak!

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this blog- very useful when planning a walk over there. Hope you are still plodding somewhere exciting,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, I just stumbled across your comment now! Hope you enjoyed a Lycian Way trek. And yes, still plodding. Have since done the Chemin du Puy, the Via di Francesco, the Pyrennean Foothills Way, Everest Base Camp.....and heading off again soon....

    ReplyDelete