Friday 11 April 2014

Day 10: Kalkan to Kalkan

Friday 11th April, 2014 (Cyclone Ita Day)

I left Kalkan at 7.30am and walked 2kms out of town on the new road. Not fun walking on a freeway but the views out to sea were nice and I thought it might be a good warm-up for the climb ahead. Helpful Likya Yolu sign at the turnoff; then, not much that's helpful until you get to the goat track. From then on the waymarks and cairns were so clear, I barely had to slacken pace to check. (For the benefit of those following me tomorrow, when you leave the main road at the Likya Yolu sign, go between the two houses and then straight ahead up a narrowing track to the right of the house on the hill. In 2 mins you'll head right on the G5 track and the waymarks become clear from there.)

People following behind me, watch out for a very angry dog, protecting goats on the hillside. Luckily today the shepherd was with the dog, but struggled to control him - so livid was the dog that I had entered his patch, and so enraged and disgusted that the shepherd wasn't equally affronted.... Unfortunately, my path was weaving through his patch, so he tried several times to run me down. I really, really wished I had one of Howard's electronic dog attack devices - I couldn't find one anywhere in Cairns, but could have bought one online, as Howard did. I did have my various defences at the ready though. Didn't need more than my walking pole, but I also had my umbrella (to confuse the dog by hiding my body and ankles), by backpack (to put between me and the dog and protect my throat), my plastic netball whistle (to maybe distract the dog or get me some help). I wonder if I am more vulnerable to attack as a solo walker - probably....

As I climbed higher, dark clouds, heavy with rain and menace, slunk down the mountain towards me, convincing me that walking on would not be wise. Ahead was a road, my final point of possible return, and there, on cue, it began to drizzle. My options were to go back to Kalkan by the road, or try and get a ride on to Bezirgan. My Maps with Me app, showed me that there is no direct road to B and I would perhaps need a couple of rides or have a decent walk at the other end, undoubtedly in rain. I took a five-minute pack rest in a dolmus shelter and made my decision. I hailed a cheery yellow, cab-like car, and got a ride back here to Kalkan.

As I arrived back at the Hotel Nur, at 10.30am, the heavens opened. I just hope it rains itself out today so that tomorrow I will have sunshine again.

Last view of Kalkan, in the distance
Good campsite on the path

 

Unfriendly clouds grouping on the mountain top

I was so excited yesterday when I thought that my iPhone was finally unlocked. It's not, however, so I'll visit a Turkcell office today and see if there is anything that can be done. It's been more than 2 weeks now - annoying, especially when good Internet coverage on my iPhone was my number one safety strategy.

My head is full of thoughts of Cairns and Cyclone Ita. It will have crossed the coast by now and be doing it's mean thing.....

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment