Saturday 5 April 2014

Day 4: Sidyma to Gavuragili (17km)

Saturday 5th April, 2014

Wow, what a big day for moi!

I left Sidyma at 10am after a leisurely breakfast on the terrace with Brea. The whole walk today was beautiful and, for the most part, it was easy and pleasant - through forests and farmland. The final 5km descent to Gavuragili, however, was punishing. For that section, the path was steep and rocky and often hard to find. It would then be a matter of spotting the next way mark or cairn and just making my way to it however I could. The waymarks have been excellent so far!

At one point on the descent, I stopped to check the track notes and discovered I'd left my guidebook and map up at my last pack rest! Darn! I took off my pack and "sprinted" back up the hill, but still added an extra forty minutes to my walking day. Was glad to finally arrive here at Candan's Garden in Gavuragili. (Highly recommended as a place to stay - host, Ali, is very kind.)

Although I didn't see another walker all day, I was followed down the hill by a Scottish couple, who stopped by here for a coffee. Heard some of their story and walked down to the beach with them, where they are camping for the night. Then back here for shower, dinner and bed - 8.35pm and I'm petty well done! Again, I'm the only guest in the establishment.

Hoping tomorrow I might find a walking companion. The Scottish couple are going to follow the road tomorrow, for the views, but it is loose, slippery gravel so I want to follow the path....

Fatmah and Brea, in Sidyma
Leaving Sidyma

 

Campsite an hour beyond Sidyma

 

Sidyma to Bel

 

Bel

 

Mosque in Bel

 

Up to Belcegiz

 

They wanted to come with me

 

Belcegiz
Belcegiz
Forest walk

 

The start of the descent

 

My guidebook, still waiting

 

 

 

View from Candan's Garden

 

My room at Candan's Garden
Beach

 

Sidyma to Gavuragili

 

No comments:

Post a Comment