Sunday 27 April 2014

Day 25: Tekirova to Sundance camp

Saturday 26th April, 2014

Some last pics of lovely Cirali, before I head off:

Beautiful mosque at Cirali

 

You can always get water at a mosque. Here men wash before going inside

 

Immam's house nearby

 

And, back to the beach!

 

I could live like this: pide, meze and wine - 20TL

 

Alba and Sergi leaving Cirali for Antalya

Well, feeling a tad flat, as this is the last day of walking for me - and, again, it was just a short one.

I got a lift from a man at the pension out to the main road and then caught a bus to the turnoff to the next town, Tekirova. Walked into town, had a coffee and then continued on to Sundance Camp - a relaxed place with bungalows, tree houses and campsites on the Likya Yolu, on the way to Phaselis. The only option available when I arrived was camp sites; so, for my last night on the Lycian Way, I will be camping. It's quite nice actually - there are good facilities here and I have no near neighbours. It costs 66TL to camp but that includes an evening meal and breakfast.

I booked in and then left my pack here while I walked on to Phaselis. What a beautiful location for an ancient city - and, again, what elegant urban design.... It's my favourite.

Came back, put up my tent and had a shower - now waiting for dinner in the dining room. Surrounded by Germans and Russians - have not heard any English spoken yet.

From here the last three/four-day mountain stage starts. Each day is long, climbing up to 2300m (Mt Olympos), and you have to carry everything; too big, on my own. So, tomorrow I will make my way to the next town, Kemer, and arrange to go to the summit of Mt Olympos (Tahtali) by cable car. Then I'll get dropped off on the highway and catch a bus to Antalya. Done. I feel a tinge of regret at what I have missed of this amazing walk, but mostly I feel so glad that my body allowed me to do what I have done.

When I get to Antalya, I'll find some accommodation in the old town for a couple of days and decide what to do next....

My last day:

Arriving in Tekirova on paved, landscaped path....

 

.... by the river

 

 

 

Looking back at Sundance Camp

 

South Harbour of Phaselis

 

Phaselis, on a small peninsula

 

Acqueduct
Elegant Main Street, down to the Central Harbour

 

Central agora (market place) with elegant roads to the central and Southern harbours leading from it
Pretty Central harbour was celebrated, too.

 

Roman wall (symmetrical blocks)

 

Inscription (translated) on one of the columns

 

 

 

Sundance Camp

 

No comments:

Post a Comment