Monday 7 April 2014

Day 5: Gavuragili to Xanthos

Sunday 6th April, 2014

Oh, where have I landed today? I'm in a Pansyon in Patara - but I feel like an alien who's been dropped into other people's lives. In this world, there's a peasant grandmother, with a loud, harsh voice and a baby granddaughter with a beautiful smile, and three adult males, of two generations - so far; there's a big family home with a spare room and bathroom for me, and a TV keeping out the silence; there's no Internet and not a word of English spoken or understood - which is, of course, quite reasonable. So, I must get by with my very limited Turkish: hello, please, thank you, water, good, how are you, hitchhike, hot milk, unique (there's a story there...), good morning, goodnight - and that's about it. But I'm only here to sleep and tomorrow I'll take a dolmus back to Xanthos to resume my walking.

So, my day......

I left Candan's Garden at 8.30am after a nice breakfast with Ali. Another false start as I forgot to pay him and got about 500m down the hill before I remembered. Ditched the pack and went back, surprised that he hadn't asked for payment.

I missed the path I'd wanted to take, until it crossed the road I had walked on for 4kms. From there, the Likya Yolu took me very slowly through the ruins of Pydnai. Quite often the most well-worn path is the wrong one. It's clearer because it's constantly being double-tramped as we all make the same mistake; so, you really have to be alert for the waymarks. It's fun, though, working them out, and again, today, they were fool-proof.

Made my way down to the beach and then, on advice from both Brea and Ali, I caught a dolmus to the turn-off to Letoon. There is an 8TL entrance fee to the ruins, but they are worth every kuru. The ruins made a good lunch stop for me. Weird to sit in such an ancient theatre eating my popcorn (well - bread,cheese and an orange.)

From Letoon, I walked 5kms to the ruins of Xanthos. They are near the quite big town of Kinik - tomato growing capital of the world, I might guess. The town seems quite drab and dreary, on entering over the bridge, and I was quite happy to take Kate's advice and take a dolmus out to Patara for the night. So, while in Kinik, I left my pack at the otogar and went to explore the ruins of Xanthos. I was keen to see the Lycian "Rosetta Stone", inscribed in both Lycian and Greek, that Kate mentions in the guidebook but didn't find it. Sill, a lovely wander....

Tricked, on the way here. The dolmus dropped me at the turnoff to Patara, with about 5kms further to walk. I was told, there, that dolmus services to Patara itself had stopped for the day but, after walking about a kilometre, I got a ride from a "not in service" dolmus. I asked the driver to stop at the first pension we came to - and here I am.

 

A plug for Ali

 

Missed the path and took the road for 4kms

 

Looking back at Gavuragili

 

Stunning coastline

 

Patara Beach

 

Ah, here is my path!

 

Pydnai ruins
Markers are not always easy to spot

 

Yes, family of mine, I crossed that bridge when I came to it

 

Tomato country

 

Letoon

 

Letoon
Letoon
Letoon

 

Xanthos

 

Xanthos

 

Sentry, Xanthos

 

Security check on my water bottle

 

Bridge and tomato greenhouses

 

Kinik
Xanthos

 

A plug for Fatmah

 

No comments:

Post a Comment