Friday 18 April 2014

Day 17: Myra

Friday 18th April, 2014

Regretting my unkind comments about Demre yesterday - I really must not blog when hungry....

Woke this morning to steady rain and figured today would be a lazy day. Over breakfast, I discussed with the hotel manager, and his brother the taxi driver, possibilities for doing a couple of sections of the mountain walk. I'm keen to get a lift to Zeytin and walk back here, and then would also like to get a cab at the other end to Belos and walk the last section to Finike. The taxi driver will research the road from Finike to Belos - he's not sure it's possible without going quite a long way around - and he'll get back to me with a price. Woohoo! I'm pretty sure I'll agree....I was so excited, I ran the plan by Howard and Judy, thinking it might be easier option for Howard's injured leg, but apparently Howard's leg is worse for having pushed on from Kalkan to Kas and they have decided to cut their trip short and go home. What a shame! I so hope I don't injure myself....

The rain had cleared by 9.30am and so I walked out to the Myra ruins, 3kms away, and followed the Lycia Yolu up above the Roman-renovated theatre, to the top of the hill. In places, ancient steps have been carved into the stone pathway, making me feel, again, like a tiny blip in the continuum of civilisation. Did not spend much time exploring the ruins at the top, as I worried that the rain might set in again and I was impatient to see the Lycian tombs in the cliff face. It was images of these that inspired my interest in this walk - and they didn't disappoint. My heart was quite full as I sat contemplating them....

Looking down on the theatre and tomato greenhouses

 

Ancient carved steps

 

 

My selfie was taken in there

 

The other side of the hill
Me, at Myra!

 

 

Tomatoes!

 

15TL to visit the tombs. Quite a tourist attraction
The Lycian tombs of Myra! Trying to replicate my a Facebook cover photo here.....

 

 

Original theatre destroyed in an earthquake. Rebuilt by Romans. Can you see tombs up in the hillside?

 

 

 

 

 
And just once more, before I go...
A summary of the Lycia and Myra stories - for those with good eyesight. Text in uppercase certainly is less reader-friendly
And just once more before I go....
 
A summary of the Lycia and Myra stories - for those with good eyesight. Text in uppercase certainly is less reader-friendly
Then I went to see the Basilica of St Nicolas, the first Bishop of Myra. Loved this, too!
And just once more, before I go...
Likewise, read the story yourself!

 

Entry 15TL

 

 

Oh, the mosaic floors!
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

St Nicolas

Just near the St Nicolas Museum is a restaurant called Ipek, recommended by the hotel manager. I had a late lunch there and it was delicious and inexpensive (8TL), with lots of interesting options - highly recommended. I am happily anticipating dinner there tonight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment