Saturday 19 April 2014

Day 18: Zeytin to Demre

Saturday 19th April, 2014

So excited! I'm meeting another walker for dinner tonight! But first, my day....

As the weather forecast was looking a bit brighter, I asked the hotel manager, last night, to line up the taxi driver - his brother, Ahmet - to take me to Zeytin today. "8.30am?" I asked. "After breakfast," the hotel manager agreed. How sensible is that! No checking the watch and gulping coffee in case you are late.....

When I had comfortably finished breakfast, we left, driving up, up, up, past Baloren and beyond where Zeytin should have been - on the wrong road. Bouncing along on a strictly 4WD track, in companionable silence, we both got the giggles, realising this had to be very wrong, and it got funnier the longer it took to find a place to safely turn around.

Eventually, on the way back, a young shepherd set Ahmet straight about the turnoff and he dropped me at a Likya Yolu signpost on the hill overlooking Zeytin. After confirming that I planned to walk back to the hotel from there, he shook my hand, shook his head and drove off.

The walk was lovely - rocky, of course, but very pretty, all the way down to the valley floor. Then it was a dreary 3km urban slog to Myra and another 3kms to the hotel.

I have a new strategy for bully dogs that seems to be working. Twice now, I have been challenged by thug dogs, snarling at me and itching for a fight and I have completely ignored them - not breaking my stride or acknowledging them in any way. I'm not sure I can extrapolate from two instances and claim new-found wisdom, but maybe this is the way....

Near Myra, another solo walker, who'd come from Sura, caught up to me and we walked together through town. We discovered we had both started on the same day from Fethiye but hadn't run into each other - hmmm, that's probably not so strange, particularly if he is camping. His walk today was his last, and he will fly home to Holland tomorrow - but tonight, I will have company for dinner at Ipek!

Now, pics of today....

We went left here, but should have followed the shepherd
A beautiful (wrong) drive....

 

 

Hmmm.....

 

Zeytin

 

Ahmet, with flowers and a "Gule, gule" for me

 

 

Start of my walk to Myra

 

 

 

 

Beloren

 

Baloren house

 

Baloren

 

 

 

 

 

 

I met a group of 22 Turkish walkers

 

 

 

Good campsite, just uphill from the view of the river valley (next photo)

 

First view of river valley

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment